Friday, May 27, 2016

Why growth = hope (for me and for everyone)

Areas where I need to grow, my grandmother's heroic story, and a recent leadership talk I gave...  


A couple of weeks ago, I got my annual work performance review.  This can cause some anxiety, and in previous years I felt quite nervous entering these feedback sessions.  However, this year was different.  I found myself eager to hear how other people experienced working with me, so I could build even better relationships and trust with them.

These days, I find myself less concerned about "how far along" I am in my leadership growth and maturity.  Instead I'm simply grateful to be learning and growing, because that gives me hope.  And it seems to give others hope too!  You can read more about areas I need to grow in, and some thoughts about why growth = hope below:

    Growth is Hope
(A Sweet Taste of the Future)
 
    An update on my garden, and on areas I need to grow in personally.


Speaking of growth, there are few authors who have helped me understand this topic like Dr. Henry Cloud, and he recently released a new book called "The Power of the Other," which is about the surprising effect our relationships can have on us — for good and bad.  I wrote a review on the book, but through my unique lens as an ethnic minority leader... and through telling the story of my late grandmother, who survived bombings and political regime changes in order to serve our family.  I hope you enjoy reading about her story:
   (Book Review)

Great leaders are in touch with their needs and can ask for help.  But for many ethnic minorities, our walls are high… because our pain runs deep. 
 
Finally, last month I had the privilege of speaking at our ministry's national leadership conference on the topic of "security" in leadership.  Here's a description: Leadership is full of challenges and demands that often reveal our insecurities. This talk addresses the theological foundations of security and includes practical ideas and tools for growth in our security as leaders.

I hope you find the video helpful and practical:
 
  What does it take to let others see our weaknesses even when it’s uncomfortable? To work with talented people without feeling threatened?
 
Thank you for reading, for your support, and for your passion and dedication in leadership!  I'm grateful to get to learn and grow from each of you.  I look forward to interacting with you soon... I always love hearing from you!

Gratefully, Adrian
 

Free Resource of the Month!


In case you missed it:

Download my new free booklet / guide for team, individual, or coaching use!  It covers:
  • How to make feedback creative and fun
  • How to give feedback in a way that honors people
  • How to receive feedback without getting defensive
  • How power and control impact feedback environments
  • What feedback might look like in different cultures
  • Learning your personal "feedback style"
Read my blog on "Feedback and Ethnicity" here:


 
Is there an “Asian American” way to handle feedback?  How does ethnicity impact feedback processes and growth?
 
I hope these resources help you in your leadership!  
My goal is to keep this newsletter concise, personal, practical, non-spammy, and once a month.  How am I doing?  Let me know.

Do you know someone who might be encouraged by these updates?  They can join the group here.
 
Get my book, "What Really Matters in Leadership":     PDF (free)     Kindle     Paperback
 
Get my book, "The Art of Growing Through Feedback":     PDF (free)     Kindle     Paperback

No comments: