Tuesday, October 11, 2016

32 Things You Need To Know About Christian Hero Worship

“Why are we throwing away value by borrowing someone else’s significance?” – Dr. Crawford Loritts
My name is Brian.  I am a recovering Christian Hero Worshipper.  My lowest moment came during a January 2004 event in Orlando, FL called The Global Pastors Summit.  Because of my work there, I had a chance backstage chance with one of my spiritual heroes, the founder of Precept Ministries Kay Arthur.
I introduced myself to her and immediately began stumbling all over my words.  I remembered telling her how much she has meant to our family, how much we had given to her ministry, which of her studies my wife enjoyed the most and on and on and on.  What’s worse is I was basically hyperventilating as I spoke.  I couldn’t breath.  Candidly, I may or may not have even gotten my name right.  Kay was very gracious and kind but my boss was rolling his eyes.  Let’s be honest, I cannot blame him.  Looking back, it was embarrassing.  I made a fool out of myself.
Well, that was then.  This is now.  Fortunately, I have since come a long way in the area of Christian hero worship but the issue still exists in the lives of many others.  And with the continual rise of platforms, podcasts, reality television and the celebrity pastor culture, this is not going away anytime soon.
Today, I had the privilege of hearing my pastor Dr. Crawford Loritts address the issue in today’s sermon at Fellowship Bible Church in Roswell, GA.  His insights from 2 Corinthians 3 were absolutely genius.  I wanted to share them with you.
The following are 32 Things You Need To Know About Christian Hero Worship.  All are quotes from Pastor Loritts.
Opening Comments
  1. Choosing to embrace diversity is not going to be a choice.
  2. God’s vision for the church has always been the morale picture of the desired destination of which society should wish to arrive.
  3. The only way to love each other better is to know each other more.
  4. I am sick and tired of the church being 15-20 years behind.
  5. At a certain point God’s wisdom is not rational.
  6. Placing someone on a pedestal means they become what we want to be.
  7. Nobody but Jesus is a perfect picture of what ministry is supposed to be.
Hero Worship Expresses Carnality
  1. You must move past the personality and see what the person represents.
  2. It (hero worship) is a sure sign of immaturity and arrested development.
Hero Worship Means You Have A  Timebound Perspective
  1. To be Christian needs to be driven by eternity.
  2. The future of the church is determined by the qualities used to build the church.
  3. There are too many egos involved in the church.
  4. Some of the least appreciated people in ministry are those on church staffs.
  5. Be careful of a system or strategy that worked for you to become a surrogate Jesus.
Hero Worship Means You Are Suffering From Superficiality
  1.  You can’t be that shallow.
  2. Self-significant people give their time and attention to that which endures.  You are the temple of the Holy Spirit.  God is within you.
  3. Don’t minimize or ignore what you have.
  4. Stop being so blasted shallow.  Stop being so thin.  We are so valuable to God and there are things He wants to do only through you.
  5. Why are we throwing away value by borrowing someone else’s significance?
  6. There are no limitations to what God wants to do through you except you.
  7. Some of us hunt for the adulation and reliance of others.
  8. When you do things that bless people, don’t think you were the source.  You were only the channel.
Hero Worship Means You Have An Exaggerated, Distorted View Of Others
  1. Godly famous people are humbled by recognition.
  2. They are ordinary people.  They are focused on fulfilling Godly assignments and greatness found them.
  3. Stop assuming that people with platforms are full of themselves.
  4. The moment you start owning anything is when God takes His hand off of you.
  5. I don’t own my ministry but I own my faithfulness to my Savior.
How Should You Think About People Who Have Blessed Your Life
  1. Honor and respect those who minister to you.
  2. Esteem them for their faithfulness.
  3. Encourage them to be a blessing to others.
  4. Focus on their Godly characteristics and traits.  Emulate those.
  5. Stay on your path.  Don’t try to be the people you admire.  Don’t plagiarize.  God’s work is bigger than any individual.
To hear this actual sermon, click HERE on Tuesday.  It will give you a proper perspective on those God has given a large platform to.
1269
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences.  Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others.  If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader.  Enjoy!!!

No comments: